Between the tax season busyness around the office and our beloved Canucks clinching the Western Conference Championship outside the office, this contract employee has yet to file his taxes. I thought this morning: “How can I rightfully chide my audience if they choose to take the typical tardy approach to doing ones taxes, when I myself have fallen victim to the same game of procrastination?” I can’t. So with 31 days to file your taxes, my repentance to you is to introduce you to the basics of Employment Expenses as referenced by the CRA; and recommend you find an accountant as educated on the (often complex) aspects of Employment Expenses as my coworkers here at Tax Team.

To claim employment expenses, your employer must sign a T2200 form!

Work-space-in-the-home expenses
You can deduct expenses you paid in 2010 for the employment use of a work space in your home, as long as you meet one of the following conditions:

* The work space is where you mainly (more than 50% of the time) do your work.
* You use the work space only to earn your employment income. You also have to use it on a regular and continuous basis for meeting clients or customers.

CRA Interpretation Bulletin on Employee’s Expenses, Including Work Space in Home Expenses

Motor vehicle expenses
The types of expenses you can deduct include:

* fuel and oil;
* maintenance and repairs;
* insurance;
* licence and registration fees;
* capital cost allowance ;
* eligible interest you paid on a loan used to buy the motor vehicle;
* eligible leasing costs.

Enter these amounts in the “Calculation of Allowable Motor Vehicle Expenses” area of Form T777.

CRA Interpretation Bulletin on Vehicle, Travel and Sales Expenses of Employees